Today’s post is a follow up of a blog post I wrote about “Turning Anxiety Into a Super Power”. I mentioned that change in my self-perception was one of the changes I made in my life to overcome the worst of my mental health issues.
What is Perception?
Perception is how we see ourselves and also how we see others.
Your perception of something is the way you think about it or how you feel about it. For example how you perceive the world and everything around you has a direct effect on your thoughts, actions and behavior.
Also, your thoughts, actions and behavior are directly affected by how you perceive yourself.
What Is Self-Perception?
Self-Perception gives you an idea of who you are or who you think you are.
When you perceive yourself in a healthy way when you’re able to assess your strengths, weakness, talents and potential. Also, you have the ability to be honest with yourself, be true to who you are and take responsibility for your choices and action.
However, when you perceive yourself in an unhealthy way you may think you know yourself; you’re unsure of yourself and you tend to lie to yourself that everything is fine.
What Problems Occur Due To Unhealthy Self-Perception?
Numerous problems occur due to unhealthy self-perception including:
- Distorted Self-Esteem: Self esteem refers to self-worth or self-respect. When you perceive yourself in an unhealthy way you can have low self esteem that causes you to feel defeated and depressed, along with failing to live up to your full potential.
- Anxiety: Unhealthy self perception leads to an anxious mindset that warps the way you view the world as well as reality. Symptoms of anxiety include feeling nervous and always have feelings of impending doom. Anxiety is an alarm for triggering your fight-or-flight response.
- Guilt: When you perceive yourself in an unhealthy way you feel an unhealthy amount of guilt. This includes anything are beyond your control, such as feeling guilty about someone’s low opinion of you.
- Negative Self-Talk: Negative self-talk is any inner self talk and also it’s best known as your inner critic. It can cause you to have limiting beliefs about your abilities and it reduces your ability to make positive changes in your life or your confidence in yourself to do so.
How Do You Improve Your Self-Perception?
It’s important look at why you perceive yourself in an unhealthy way. Factors such as stressful life events such as divorce or illness, past trauma or abuse, half baked goals or mental health problems play a role in our self-perception.
It is possible to face these problems as well as transform how you perceive yourself.
Tips For Improving Self-Perception
Here are Tips for Improving Your Self-Perception:
- Identify Your Perceptions: You can identify your perceptions by asking yourself certain questions. You’ll notice certain thoughts come to the surface that feel familiar or true to you. For example you can ask yourself a question such as “What do I always say about myself ?” thoughts pertaining to your self perception comes to the surface such as “I’m an a@#h&le”. Then it’s important to examine that perception you’ve identified and ask why it’s justified and why you think that way about yourself.
- Listen To Your Inner Critic: It gets worse if you ignore or suppress your inner critic. Instead you should listen to your inner critic and take note of what it’s trying to tell you. At that point you have the opportunity to judge what your inner critic is trying to tell you, maybe it’s telling you to take the action you need to take.
- Stop Ruminating: Rumination means to go over a negative thought or problem over and over. It’s important to keep your mind occupied if you start ruminating, along with learning about your triggers as well as questioning your thoughts.
- Boost Your Self Esteem: There are a lot of ways to boost your self esteem. These include learning a new skill, challenging your limiting beliefs and stand at the edge of your comfort zone.
- Get Outside Your Comfort Zone: Getting outside your comfort zone creates enough good stress to ramp up your focus, creativity and drive. It helps you to respond to life’s stresses when unexpected things happen.
Have You Ever Felt Like Your Self-Perception Affects Your Life?
Please Like And Comment!
Please, Don’t Forget To Follow Us
If you’re suffering from anxiety, please click on the button below to download your free anxiety expert guide:
Please, Click Here To Download Your Free Anxiety Expert Guide!!